“The holly and the ivy,
When they are both full grown,
Of all trees that are in the wood,
The holly bears the crown.”
Now is the time to celebrate the arrival of winter – the frosty mornings, log fires and of course Christmas! Gardens will be looking bare although perhaps beech hedges will still be providing bronze colour and evergreens will be giving structure and interest. Chill, bright days are perfect for the few gardening jobs that need doing this month. As the days are so short you’ll soon be back inside by the warmth of the fire.
- Continue to clear fallen leaves and other debris as they will otherwise provide great shelter for slugs and snails.
- If you haven’t already done so, then reduce your rose bushes by about a half. This will prevent wind rock damage.
- Plant bare root trees, shrubs and roses
- Soft fruit bushes will be dormant now, the perfect time for planting.
- At this time of year garden birds really need your help. Please ensure they have a constant supply of food and fresh water. Feeders will need to be cleaned regularly to prevent disease.
- It’s not too late to plant tulips so fill any empty pots with as many bulbs as you can find.
- Water plants sparingly and keep houseplants out of draughts.
- Order your seed potatoes so you start chitting in the New Year
- Winter prune apple and pear trees. This will encourage strong regrowth in spring.
- Browse through your Suttons catalogue or visit us online and plan for a wonderful 2017 gardening year.
Gifts for Gardeners
Winter flowering houseplants make lovely gifts and allow the gardener to still potter and nurture when the outside garden is out of bounds. Carefully watering, feeding and snipping off faded blooms, etc.
On our website, you’ll find a whole host of gifts, perfect for the gardener in your life. We can deliver to you or direct to the lucky recipient. Although we can’t gift wrap we cancertainly ensure that no price details are enclosed!
Last order date for guaranteed pre-Christmas delivery is 12th December
If you are trying to find the perfect gift but don’t know what to buy or if the last order date has come and gone, then look no further! We have designed two brand new gift cards, just waiting for your personal message.
We know that you like to order early to ensure you have the best choice and so our plant catalogue will be mailed at the end of this month. Look out for it on or soon after the 28th December.
We’ve lined up some festive fun for you. Visit our blog on 22nd December and play our Musical Gardening Quiz! The answers will be provided the following week, if you need them.
In case you missed last month’s blogs you can find them by clicking on any or all of the following titles: