Another seasonal recipe
Spicy Leek and Potato Soup
- Knob of butter or drizzle of oil
- 2 leeks, sliced finely
- 200g potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped very finely/grated
- 1 finely sliced medium chilli or more/less to taste (de seeded)
- 300 mls milk, semiskimmed or skimmed
- 2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes,
- 1 pint hot water
- ground black pepper to taste
Take a large saucepan and melt the butter and gently sauté the leeks, onions, potatoes, garlic and chilli for about 10 minutes or until slightly softened.
Dissolve the stock cube in the hot water and add to the sautéd vegetables.Bring the mixture to the boil and the reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
Either pour into your blender or use your stick blender and blend the soup mixture for about 30 seconds. If using normal blender, pour soup back into saucepan. Add the milk gradually until the soup is the right consistancy to suit you, and then bring the soup back up to temperature.
Season with pepper and a swirl of cream and serve immediately.
Should you require a lower calorie version, use frylight to fry off the ingredients at the start; and use skimmed milk rather than semi and leave out the blob of cream!