“From December to March, there are for many of us three gardens –
the garden outdoors, the garden of pots and bowls in the house,
and the garden of the mind’s eye.”
– Katherine S. White
Now is the time to celebrate the arrival of winter – the frosty mornings, toasty fires and of course Christmas! Gardens will be looking bare although beach hedges will still be gloriously bronze and evergreens will be giving structure and interest. Frost will be adding a sparkle to seed heads and to any stubborn perennial stems still standing.
Chill, bright days are perfect for the few gardening jobs that need doing this month. An added bonus being that the days are so short you’ll soon be back inside by the warmth of the fire.
Our top ten recommended tasks this month include:
- Continue to clear fallen leaves and other debris. Put them in plastic bags and turn them into leafmould rather than leaving them to provide shelter for slugs and snails.
- If you haven’t already done so, then now is the time to reduce your rose bushes by about a half. This will prevent wind rock damage.
- Plant bare root trees, shrubs and roses. Its very important to keep them well watered as this will encourage the roots to spread out and establish.
- Soft fruit bushes will be dormant now, the perfect time for planting.
- At this time of year garden birds really need your help. Please ensure they have a constant supply of food and fresh water. Feeders will need to be cleaned regularly to prevent the spread of disease.
- It’s not too late to plant tulips so fill any empty pots with as many bulbs as you can find.
- Water plants sparingly and keep houseplants out of draughts.
- Order your seed potatoes so you can start chitting in the New Year. Visit our website to select from our wide range.
- Winter prune apple and pear trees. This will encourage strong regrowth in spring.
- Browse through your Suttons catalogue or visit us online and plan for a wonderful 2017 gardening year.
Gifts for Gardeners
Winter flowering houseplants make lovely gifts and allow the gardener to still potter and nurture when the outside garden is out of bounds. Carefully watering, feeding and snipping off faded blooms, etc.
On our website, you’ll find a whole host of gifts, perfect for the gardener in your life. We can deliver to you or direct to the lucky recipient. Although we can’t gift wrap we can certainly ensure that no price details are enclosed!
Last order date for guaranteed pre-Christmas delivery is 15th December
If you are trying to find the perfect gift but don’t know what to buy or if the last order date has come and gone, then look no further! Our gift cards can deliver your personal message and allow the lucky recipient to chose their own gift.
For more inspiration take a look at our top 10 Amazing Gift Ideas for Gardeners.
Dwarf Mulberry Charlotte Russe
December is a time to look back and reflect. Thanks to you, our customers, Suttons has had another good year, one highlight being the introduction of our world Exclusive dwarf mulberry. Not only has Mulberry Charlotte Russe sold like hot cakes but is also won the much coveted Chelsea Flower Show Plant of the Year 2017! Available to order now.