Extra Value Plugs are our best value plants, we have germinated the seeds for you and grown them into small plants. They will need to be potted on, which will take a little care, but you will know how many plants you will get and the value is superb. Each plug plant costs as little at 7p.
Your plants have been grown under ideal conditions and inspected by one of our experts prior to careful packaging and despatch by post. However, should they have been damaged or delayed during delivery, please contact us immediately.
To achieve that stunning summer long display, please ensure that you regularly check your plants to ensure that they have adequate water, and feed regularly. When planting containers, mix a slow release plant food such as Suttons Controlled Release Fertiliser, plus some Water Storing Crystals into the compost. They will then need less attention throughout the summer. Watering below the foliage canopy of the plants will reduce marking and damage to the flowers. Removing the dead and damaged flower heads will not only improve the appearance of the plants but will also prevent the plant from putting energy into seed production and ensure that more flowers are produced.
On delivery of your plants do this straight away:
- Carefully unpack your plants and check that the compost is moist.
- Should any of the compost be dry, water carefully using a small watering can, and allow to drain.
- Stand in a light, warm place, and then follow the growing on instructions in this leaflet as soon as you can – provided they are kept moist, they can usually be left for up to 3 days.
- To reduce the need for weeding once you have planted out your bedding display, you can dig over your planting area a couple of weeks before you intend to plant. As the soil warms this will encourage the weed seeds to germinate and these can be removed before you plant up your display.
- If you intend to plant ‘Value Plug Plants’ through the side of your baskets then you can use a smaller pot than 7cm and transfer into baskets when well established.
Extra Value Plug Plants (Plant Size: approx. 5cm)
- A 7cm pot filled loosely with moist compost is ideal to plant these sturdy young plants into. In each pack of extra value plug plants, you will find a dibber stick.
- Gently push it through the base hole of each cell and ease the plant and root plug out of the tray, placing it into the centre of the filled pot until the roots of the plug are covered.
- Firm the compost gently around the base of the plug whilst ensuring the stem and leaves remain above the top layer.
- Alternatively, plant into trays of compost. A 36x22cm (14×8½”) tray will hold up to 24 plants.
- Grow on in a light place at a temperature of 16 ̊C (60 ̊F).
- For Begonia and Impatiens 18 ̊C (65 ̊F) would be even better to encourage quick establishment.
Please note: Our Extra Value plug plants trays contain extra cells over and above the stated quantity – so that you should normally receive a few extra plants, even if some of the cells are empty.