This competition has now closed but thank you to all those who took part. All the winners have been drawn & contacted. Congratulations to our 5 winners who each won a fantastic bundle of cottage garden seeds from the selection below.
While you wait for our next competition, be sure to check out our fantastic flower seeds selection below – perfect for starting your very own cottage garden!
Aquilegia ‘Pretty Bonnets Mix’
Aquilegia ‘Pretty Bonnets Mix’ is a free-flowering cottage garden favourite that blooms from spring to summer. Similar in shape to old-fashioned bonnets, pretty two-tone flowers top the tall stems. Plant aquilegia in the middle of a cottage border alongside daffodil and tulip bulbs. The clump-forming foliage will cover the spent bulbs in late spring, while the bright jewel shades and spiky flower spurs provide colour and interest.
Sow your aquilegia seeds indoors this March ready to plant out in late spring. The full impact of this hardy perennial will reveal itself the following year. ‘Pretty Bonnets Mix’ reaches a height of 90cm and a spread of 60cm when mature.
Delphinium ‘Delight Mix’
The tall, ruffled spires of Delphinium ‘Delight Mix’ are covered in large, double blooms that range from pale cream to dark purple. Plant these hardy perennials at the back of a mixed cottage garden border for structure and height. Bees love them!
Sow delphinium seeds under glass from January to March for flowers in August and September. If you direct sow some of the seeds between May and July, you’ll get an even earlier display the following year, starting in June. Delphinium ‘Delight Mix’ reaches a height of 150cm.
Foxglove ‘Pam’s Split’
The striking colour of Foxglove ‘Pam’s Split’ brings a fresh twist to a classic cottage garden favourite. Prolific white and magenta blooms cascade down tall majestic main stems. Loved by pollinators, these flowers are a great way to attract plenty of beneficial insects to the garden.
Sow foxglove seeds under cover from mid-January through to June. The biennial seedlings will produce clumps of foliage the same year, and flower next May to July. Foxglove ‘Pam’s Split’ grows to 140cm tall.
Sow Astrantia seeds for a full 12 weeks of summer blooms. Adding a unique fireworks display to your cottage garden border, these delicately pink-veined and silver flowers burst out of clumps of acid green foliage. Thriving in the front of borders and containers alike, astrantia provides good value, long-lasting flower power to every corner of your outside space.
Sow your astrantia seeds indoors from January to March ready to harden off and plant out in spring. Alternatively, direct sow small outside pots in August or September to flower the following spring. Reaching a height of 40-60cm, plant 60cm apart.
Lupin ‘Russell Mix’
Lupin ‘Russell Mix’ is a unique hardy perennial that was awarded a Gold Medal by the RHS in 1937 and is still just as popular today! Unusual shades of yellow, orange and crimson blooms sit beautifully alongside the more classic blues and purples.
Lupins have lovely feathery foliage that looks great in the middle of your border. The gentle leaves and soft, brush-like flower spikes bring a nostalgic feel to your cottage garden, looking especially lovely when combined with tall whippy flowers.
Sow your lupin seeds indoors between March and June, or direct sow outdoors for flowers between May and July the following year. Mature lupins reach a height of 90cm.
Hollyhock ‘Chater’s Mix’
It’s hard to imagine a cottage garden without Hollyhock ‘Chater’s Mix’. Producing flowers all summer long, this reliable variety is loved for its large, ruffled, double-petalled flowers ranging from burgundy and hot pink, through to peach and pure white. Reaching stately heights of 180cm, hollyhocks look their best at the back of a border where the eye-catching blooms are held aloft by strong stems. And as a hardy perennial, hollyhock ‘Chaters Mix’ returns year after year, getting better with age. Simply sow your seeds indoors between April and June, or direct sow outside in May and June to enjoy flowers next summer.
Sowing perennial flower seeds is a satisfying and cost-effective way to fill your beds, borders and containers with colour. If you’ve missed the boat or prefer more instant results, take a look at our collection of cottage garden plants for more inspiration.
Terms and conditions
- This giveaway is only open to United Kingdom mainland residents aged over 18, excluding employees of Suttons Consumer Products, their families and all those professionally associated with this Promotion.
- This giveaway is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- Closing Date: 12 noon, Monday 14th February 2022
- To Enter: choose from the methods available, including sharing an email address for great offers, tweeting about the giveaway, and visiting the Suttons Facebook page.
- The Prize: 5 winners will be selected and sent a bundle of Suttons cottage garden flower seeds (worth £14.82) The varieties on offer are:
Aquilegia ‘Pretty Bonnets Mix’
Delphinium ‘Delight Mix’
Foxglove ‘Pam’s Split’
Lupin ‘Russells Mix’
Hollyhocks ‘Chaters Mix’
The prizes will be sent to the winners by post.
- The Prize is non-exchangeable or transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers, promotions, or discounts. Due to current regulations, we are not able to send this prize to winners in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.
- The winners will be randomly selected from all valid entries received during the promotional period within 2 working days of the Closing Date.
- The winners will be contacted by an email from firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 working days of the Closing Date. If a winner does not respond within 14 days of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner. If a winner rejects their prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner.
- No cash alternative for the Prize stated is offered.
- Suttons Consumer Products may substitute the Prize for a prize of an equal or greater value if, for any reason, the original Prize is unavailable.
- Suttons Consumer Products may request that the winner participates in publicity arising from the Promotion. The winner is under no obligation to participate and may decline this request. Participation is at the winner’s discretion.
- By entering this giveaway, entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and by the decisions of the Suttons Consumer Products, which are final in all matters relating to the giveaway. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the Prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
- If you agreed to sign up to our mailing list, you are agreeing to receive occasional emails and catalogues from Suttons Seeds, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a voluntary entry method, and not a mandatory condition of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of the Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering or to have tampered with the operation of the giveaway, or to be acting in violation of these terms and conditions.
- All entries must be made by the entrant themselves. Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries, entries by macros or other automated means (including systems which can be programmed to enter), and entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these terms and conditions in full will be disqualified and will not be counted. If it becomes apparent that an entrant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’, masking their identity by manipulating IP addresses, using identities other than their own or any other automated means in order to increase that entrant’s entries into the promotion in a way that is not consistent with the spirit of the giveaway, that entrant’s entries will be disqualified and any Prize award will be void.
- To the full extent permitted by law Suttons Consumer Products will not accept liability for any loss, damage, injury or death arising from this giveaway beyond its reasonable control. Suttons Consumer Products does not accept any liability for the acts of any third-party Prize provider.
- If any provisions of these Terms and Conditions are judged to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, this shall not affect or impact the continuation in full force and affect the remainder of the provisions.