World-renowned, glamorous and quintessentially British, RHS Chelsea is a truly unique and unforgettable experience. Returning every year, the show is in the diary of every esteemed horticulturalists and gardening enthusiast out there!
The Chelsea Flower Show in 2020 was not as we know it, but will you be ready for two rounds of Chelsea this year?
In 2020, we saw the first-ever RHS Virtual Chelsea Flower Show packed full of inspiring videos, sneak peeks into celebrity and private gardens, memories of the show through the years and even words of wisdom from royalty! The virtual show will be returning once again this year (May 17 – 22), but the show will appear again in September, with hope as the physical, traditional event.
There’s always a first, and this definitely is! For the first time in 108 years, the RHS is postponing the RHS Chelsea Flower Show, and planning for it to take place in the autumn instead of spring. This is due to obvious reasons, as the 2021 Show would have happened between 18 May and 23 May, but has now been moved from 21st to 26th September. This event will still be held at the usual place (world-renown) Royal Hospital, Chelsea, but whilst the September Show clearly be different from the usual spring event, the RHS sees this as an opportunity to celebrate the greatest aspects of autumn horticulture! This may include the fabulous seasonal changes of Salvias, Asters, Dahlias, grasses and fruit and vegetables. As well as reflecting on the historic Great Autumn Show, we think it will be very exciting and truly thrilling to see and spectate some exquisite autumnal gardens and flower displays. Exhibitors waiting patiently and planning to put on a show at the canceled May event will not miss out and will certainly have the chance to be at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in September!
Without further ado, here is what to expect at the RHS Virtual Chelsea Flower Show 2021 this year…
It says it in the name but the RHS will be bringing the event to life online and you will be able to enjoy this premium virtual event from the comfort of your own home. Virtual Chelsea features a series of online articles and videos including handy gardening demos, the finest garden tours and creative inspiration in the garden and on the plot! This is all free to access on the RHS website, with new and exclusive content released on a daily basis. Albeit in a different format for now compared to the September event, here’s what to expect from this year’s virtual show plus where to watch!
When and where is the RHS Virtual Chelsea Flower Show 2021?
The RHS ‘Virtual’ Chelsea Flower Show 2021 begins Monday May 17th to Friday May 21st 2021. To watch the show, visit rhs.org.uk/virtualchelsea and follow #RHSChelsea on their social media platforms. To watch the virtual tutorials, visit https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/virtual-chelsea and new guides and tutorials will be added at the end of each day and will remain on the website for the week for you to rewatch and catch up on.
Monday 17th is members day, exclusive to RHS members only. If you are signed up as a member of the RHS you will receive special, early content for the virtual show. For the rest of the week, without a doubt, the virtual show will kick start with a good old natter about what will happen in the September autumn show. There will be gossip about what to expect and what it might look like, and perhaps a comment or two from GI experts throughout the week. It’s likely that the plans for the September show will be unveiled throughout the week of Virtual Chelsea, so be sure to stay tuned across the RHS website each day!
RHS Virtual Chelsea Flower Show 2021 – The Line Up…
The week will be full of well-known Horti experts, TV personalities, show designers and expert growers. The line is the best yet, as we get the chance to join Jo Whiley, radio DJ and presenter, in her own outstanding garden in Northamptonshire and legendary DJ, Trevor Nelson. This duo will be chatting with RHS Chelsea designer Matthew Wilson, who has his own grand garden in North London!
Will there be a feature from a Royal connection? We will have to tune in to see! What we will get is some news and insights to award-winning garden designers taking part in this year’s RHS Chelsea Show such as Charlotte Harris, Sarah Eberle, Robert Myers and of course, Tom Massey! They will be showing us what they plan to do for the September show and how they will adapt there display for the history making autumn show.
If your a fan of all things food, like herbs, veggies and fruit, you won’t want to miss the virtual garden tour with Raymond Blanc. As a popular celebrity chef, he will be discussing his culinary tips and foodie plans for the autumn show too.
It wouldn’t be a virtual show without meeting the expert growers who will be bringing their late season plants to the Great Pavilion in autumn, plus there will be some an exclusive look into the brand new Houseplant Studios. More to be revealed…
Horticultural conversations will be everywhere with some of the biggest names in gardening showing up and talking all things Chelsea. BBC Gardeners’ World presenter Arit Anderson and designer Marian Boswell will be discussing garden design, as well as BBC news correspondents Daniela Relph and Sangita Myska will be opening up their own gardens for the show. You will also be able to watch floral display be created by the fabulous celebrity florist Simon Lycett and present Nicki Chapman.
Well known Chelsea regular Peter Beales Roses will be sharing top nursery tips and a tour of their nursery, plus W.S Warmenhoven, a specialist expert of alliums and amaryllis, will be offering care and growing tips.
As if there isn’t enough going on, it will be wonderful to see that the RHS are going to revisit the garden at the Highgate Mental Health Centre part of Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust to find out how the staff and patients have benefited since receiving the RHS Feel Good Garden from RHS Chelsea in 2018.
All Virtual visitors will have the opportunity to shop the show and get their hands on seasonal plants and every gardening goodie on offer online. This is from the specialist nurseries and exhibitors who would usually be at the show as well as some RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2021 souvenirs thrown in the mix!
Day By Day Guide to Virtual Chelsea 2021
Monday 17th May – RHS Members Day
Kicking off the virtual Chelsea Flower Show experience is RHS Members Day. Expect exclusive Chelsea Flower Show content designed for RHS members only.
- The day begins with some of the biggest faces in gardening and the week opens with conversations between Alan Titchmarsh and RHS President, Sir Nicholas Bacon.
- Designers who will take part in the September RHS Chelsea Flower Show will be hosting talks throughout the day, perhaps revealing their plans for September!
- Renown DJ Trevor Nelson will be in discussion with RHS Chelsea designer Matthew Wilson, who designed his own show-stopping garden in North London.
- A fan of alliums? Well, Allium Specialist W.S Warmenhoven will be showing how to care for alliums.
- A host of well-known celebrities and BBC personalities will be offering an insight to their gardening ways.
- There will be plenty of chatting about how the RHS are supporting the Queens Green Canopy, which goes the say ‘Grow a Tree for the Jubilee!’.
- The first-ever winner of the RHS Chelsea Sustainable Garden Product of the Year Award will be announced on Monday 17th.
Tuesday 18th May
This is the first day that the RHS Virtual Show is available for public viewing! Therefore, it looks like content from Monday will be available to the public to view online which features all of the above events. Plus, it will be the opening day of the RHS Garden in Bridgewater in Salford, so expect a virtual tour of the garden. Make sure to leave enough time to browse the Chelsea souvenirs, as there’s a new Katie Craven range including candles, mugs and tea towels with extraordinary designs!
Sustainable Gardening Product of the Year Winner 2021 Announced!
And the Winner Is… Ocean Plastic Pots!
We can see why this one took the winning title, as every pot has been crafted by ocean waste, preventing it from living in landfill and turning it into garden pots and planters instead! Available in Mint Green, Blue and Dark green these gorgeous pots have been designed in Glasgow and made in Scotland. They hope to plant the seed to encourage more of us to reduce the amount of plastic we use and in turn protect our planet and our future.
Wednesday 19th May
- Expect the launch of an exciting new project for next year’s RHS Chelsea Flower Show called Project Giving Back. This a brand new support scheme the RHS are setting up which allows UK charities to create a garden at RHS Chelsea!
- Celebrity Florist Simon Lycett and presenter Nicki Chapman create some spectacular floral displays.
- Watch a fabulous tour of Peter Beales Roses nurseries! With some exclusive top tips on growing roses.
- Experts from Primrose Hill talk all things peonies.
- Arthur Parkinson will be demonstrating how to create a striking display in pots and containers. One to watch especially if you have a patio!
Thursday 20th May
- Houseplant specialists will be showing us their designs and plans for the new Houseplant Studios featured in the September flower show.
- Along with an insight into Joe Bagley’s three favourite houseplants of choice!
- Radio Presenter Jo Wiley will be shown how to upgrade her flower border and Northamptonshire garden with RHS judge James Alexander-Sinclair.
- Celebrity chef Raymond Blanc reveals what he has planned for #JardinBlanc at the Chelsea this September.
- Are you a lover of herbal tea? Hackney Herbal will be showing the best ways to make your own herbal teas plus wellbeing tips!
Friday 21st May
The last day of RHS Virtual Chelsea Flower Show 2021 has arrived and here’s what you can do. Sit back and meet some of the specialist nurseries that will be exhibiting at the September Chelsea show for the first time! There will also be the opportunity to catch up on any content missed earlier in the week or perhaps something you fancy tuning in for again.
RHS Chelsea Flower Show… September!
From Tuesday September 21 to Sunday September 26, The RHS Chelsea Flower Show will be held on the grounds of the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. Rightly so, we will be celebrating this occasion on our blog social media pages so be sure to return in September for more fabulous Chelsea content!
Join the Suttons community today and take us with you on your gardening journey – #MySuttonsJourney