This competition has now closed but thank you to all those who took part. Congratulations goes to our six winners who each won a bundle of Suttons new veg seeds.
Interested in growing something new this year? Browse through our new vegetable seeds category to learn more, or get inspired by our handpicked selection below.
Six best new vegetable seeds to help you save money
Growing vegetables from seed is a great way to save money and guarantee a steady supply of healthy produce for your family. Veg seeds are relatively cheap and easy to grow, and by choosing high value crops you can make significant savings in the supermarket over the course of a year.
If you want to reduce your food bill by growing your own veg, here are six suggestions. Try these new and exciting vegetable seeds for high yields and excellent value:
1. Kale ‘Cottagers’
Perennial vegetables offer fantastic value for money, and each plant grown from ‘Cottagers’ Kale seeds produces tasty, vitamin-packed leaves for up to five years. This hardy heritage variety is an unusual cross between kale, Brussels sprouts and purple-sprouting broccoli and provides a healthy crop all through winter and early spring. Cut fresh baby leaves as needed for salads and smoothies, or allow them to mature for steaming and stir frying.
2. Courgette ‘Butterstick’
Courgette plants are excellent value for money as they crop prolifically over a long period. One of the most versatile veggies you can grow, they’re a great addition to cakes, pasta sauces, stir-fries or simply stuffed and baked. Sow courgette ‘Butterstick’ F1 seeds for golden yellow fruits with a delicious flavour – ideal for courgette ‘spaghetti’!
3. Beetroot ‘Jolie’
A vigorous, late-maturing variety, Beetroot ‘Jolie’ F1 makes our list because of its excellent storage qualities. These deep red, uniform beets are sweet and delicious, making excellent cakes, soups, salads and roasted veg. The leaves are also edible, giving a fresh twist to salads and stir-fries. Harvest while young for baby beets or allow them to fully mature and store until needed.
4. Radish ‘Mooli’
Succession sow these quick-growing Radish ‘Mooli’ seeds throughout the summer whenever you spot a gap and you’ll reap the rewards through autumn and winter. These crisp, pure white roots can grow up to 25cm long and your mild-flavoured crop will remain in perfect condition for a long period.
5. Squash ‘Uchiki Kuri’
Suttons squash ‘Uchiki Kuri’ seeds are ideal for sowing in large patio containers or small veg patches. With a compact, bushy habit, the plants grow vigorously in warm weather. Harvest your bright orange-red ‘cobnut’ type squashes from mid-summer through to autumn and enjoy their firm, sweet and nutty flavoured flesh in soups, curries, casseroles and risottos.
6. Dwarf French Bean ‘Dior’
French beans are one of the highest yielding crops you can grow – the more pods you pick the more the plant will produce! Taking up relatively little space, they grow vertically up a trellis or frame and can be freshly picked as required to avoid waste. Sow Dwarf French Bean ‘Dior’ seeds for prolific amounts of flavoursome, yellow beans that keep their colour when cooked.
We hope we’ve inspired you to grow your own high value crops to help you save money at the supermarket. Don’t forget to enter our giveaway above for the chance to win a bundle of these six vegetable seeds from Suttons. Good luck!
Terms and conditions
- This giveaway is only open to United Kingdom residents aged over 18, excluding employees of Suttons Consumer Products, their families and all those professionally associated with this Promotion.
- This giveaway is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- Closing Date: 12 noon, Thursday 26th January 2023.
- To Enter: choose from all the methods available, including sharing an email address for great offers, tweeting about the giveaway, and visiting the Suttons Facebook page.
- The Prize: 6 winners will be selected and each sent 6 packets of seeds from Suttons new 2023 range. The varieties on offer are:
Squash ‘Uchiki Kuri’
Dwarf French Bean ‘Dior’
- The Prize is non-exchangeable or transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers, promotions, or discounts.
- The winners will be randomly selected from all valid entries received during the promotional period within 2 working days of the Closing Date.
- The winners will be contacted by email within 3 working days of the Closing Date. If the winner does not respond within 14 days of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner. If a winner rejects their prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner.
- No cash alternative for the Prize stated is offered.
- Suttons Consumer Products may substitute the Prize for a prize of an equal or greater value if, for any reason, the original Prize is unavailable.
- Suttons Consumer Products may request that the winner participates in publicity arising from the Promotion. The winner is under no obligation to participate and may decline this request. Participation is at the winner’s discretion.
- By entering this giveaway, entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and by the decisions of the Suttons Consumer Products, which are final in all matters relating to the giveaway. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the Prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
- If you agreed to sign up to our mailing list, you are agreeing to receive occasional emails and catalogues from Suttons Seeds, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a voluntary entry method, and not a mandatory condition of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of the Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering or to have tampered with the operation of the giveaway, or to be acting in violation of these terms and conditions.
- All entries must be made by the entrant themselves. Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries, entries by macros or other automated means (including systems which can be programmed to enter), and entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these terms and conditions in full will be disqualified and will not be counted. If it becomes apparent that an entrant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’, masking their identity by manipulating IP addresses, using identities other than their own or any other automated means in order to increase that entrant’s entries into the promotion in a way that is not consistent with the spirit of the giveaway, that entrant’s entries will be disqualified and any Prize award will be void.
- To the full extent permitted by law Suttons Consumer Products will not accept liability for any loss, damage, injury or death arising from this giveaway beyond its reasonable control. Suttons Consumer Products does not accept any liability for the acts of any third-party Prize provider.
- If any provisions of these Terms and Conditions are judged to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, this shall not affect or impact the continuation in full force and affect the remainder of the provisions.