This competition has now closed but thank you to all those who took part. Congratulations goes to our 5 winners who each won a bundle of Suttons vegetable seeds to sow in August.
For more inspiration on growing your own delicious vegetables that can be started in August, have a look at our list below.
Five veg seeds you can sow in August
Feed your family for less this winter and supplement your weekly shop with tasty, homegrown produce. Simply direct-sow the seeds into containers, raised beds or your veg patch and reap the rewards through autumn and winter.
It’s never too late in the year to start growing your own food. Here are five delicious varieties of versatile, high-yielding vegetable seeds you can still sow throughout August to jazz up mealtimes.
Winter Leaf Salad Seeds
Ready to eat in just three weeks, sow your salad leaf winter mix seeds in window boxes or containers on a balcony, and pick the leaves as and when you need them. Part of Suttons’ ‘Speedy Veg’ collection, this nutritious mix can be grown outdoors until the end of October. Cut-and-come-again crops are a good way to reduce waste as you only harvest what you need each day.
Easy to grow, simply sow your seeds, cover lightly with compost and maintain moisture. You can begin to pick the leaves once they reach 12-15cm high.
Chinese Cabbage Seeds – F1 Natsuki
Looking for a zero-waste vegetable to use in a variety of dishes? Try the Chinese Cabbage. Entirely edible, add the young leaves of ‘Natsuki’ to stir-fries, or allow the plants to develop into full-sized cabbages for soups, casseroles or winter-warming roast dinners. High in iron and vitamins A and C, your crop can be harvested just 7 weeks after sowing.
Sow your Chinese Cabbage ‘F1 Natsuki’ seeds in containers of finely raked, moist soil, spacing them 15 inches apart. Germination takes 7-12 days. If you need to thin out some of the small plants, simply eat them while they’re young and exceptionally tender. Sow a few seeds every week to give yourself a constant supply of fresh vegetables through the colder months.
Wok Broc (Chinese Broccoli) Seeds – Kichi
The ultimate cut-and-come-again vegetable, you can use all parts of Wok Broc ‘Kichi’ in your cooking. Slice up the stalks as an inexpensive alternative to asparagus, pick and use the leaves to replace spinach, and enjoy the flower buds in the same way as sprouting broccoli. This staple of Cantonese cooking can be harvested in just 8 weeks, and successional sowings every two to three weeks allows you to maintain a constant supply throughout winter.
Thinly sow Wok Broc ‘Kichi’ seeds outdoors into finely raked, moist, weed-free soil or alternatively, sow in containers in a cold greenhouse or conservatory later in the season. Remember to eat your thinned plants as you go and sow more seeds every other week for a constant supply.
Pak Choi Seeds – F1 Rubi
With attractive red leaves which deepen in colour as it gets colder, Pak Choi ‘F1 Rubi’ is wonderfully versatile. Choose to harvest the baby leaves after just 30 days to add raw colour to salads, or leave these oriental vegetables to mature and slice up to cook in stir-fries.
Thinly sow Pak Choi ‘F1 Rubi’ seeds directly into warm, moist soil at 13mm deep in rows 30cm apart. Leave 15cm between plants if growing in containers. Water frequently during dry periods, and apply a weak liquid feed once a week. Not suitable for transplanting.
Beet (Leaf) Seeds – Sea Kale
With a long cropping period, it’s up to you how to use Beet Leaf ‘Sea Kale’. You can harvest the green tips frequently while young as a ‘cut-and-come-again’ veg similar to spinach. Alternatively, you can let each plant mature and slice the thick white midribs into sections, cook for a few minutes in boiling, salted water, and serve while still crisp. Nutritious and high yielding, this ornamental dual-purpose vegetable will quickly become a staple in your kitchen.
If you’re looking to grow larger plants, thinly sow your Beet Leaf ‘Sea Kale’ seeds into rows and cover with soil. Alternatively, sow more liberally and snip the seedlings as required for use as baby leaves in salads or to stir through pasta.
Terms and conditions
- This giveaway is only open to United Kingdom mainland residents aged over 18, excluding employees of Suttons Consumer Products, their families and all those professionally associated with this Promotion.
- This giveaway is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- Closing Date: 12 noon, Monday 1st August 2022.
- To Enter: choose from the four methods available, including sharing an email address for great offers, tweeting about the giveaway, and visiting the Suttons Facebook page.
- The Prize: 5 winners in total. Each winner will receive a bundle of August-sowing veg seeds (varieties can be seen above.) The prizes will be sent to the winners by post.
- The Prize is non-exchangeable or transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers, promotions, or discounts. Due to current regulations, we are not able to send this prize to winners in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.
- The winners will be randomly selected from all valid entries received during the promotional period within 3 working days of the Closing Date.
- The winners will be contacted by an email from firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 working days of the Closing Date. If a winner does not respond within 14 days of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner. If a winner rejects their prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner.
- No cash alternative for the Prize stated is offered.
- Suttons Consumer Products may substitute the Prize for a prize of an equal or greater value if, for any reason, the original Prize is unavailable.
- Suttons Consumer Products may request that the winner participates in publicity arising from the Promotion. The winner is under no obligation to participate and may decline this request. Participation is at the winner’s discretion.
- By entering this giveaway, entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and by the decisions of the Suttons Consumer Products, which are final in all matters relating to the giveaway. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the Prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
- If you agreed to sign up to our mailing list, you are agreeing to receive occasional emails and catalogues from Suttons Seeds, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a voluntary entry method, and not a mandatory condition of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of the Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering or to have tampered with the operation of the giveaway, or to be acting in violation of these terms and conditions.
- All entries must be made by the entrant themselves. Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries, entries by macros or other automated means (including systems which can be programmed to enter), and entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these terms and conditions in full will be disqualified and will not be counted. If it becomes apparent that an entrant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’, masking their identity by manipulating IP addresses, using identities other than their own or any other automated means in order to increase that entrant’s entries into the promotion in a way that is not consistent with the spirit of the giveaway, that entrant’s entries will be disqualified and any Prize award will be void.
- To the full extent permitted by law Suttons Consumer Products will not accept liability for any loss, damage, injury or death arising from this giveaway beyond its reasonable control. Suttons Consumer Products does not accept any liability for the acts of any third-party Prize provider.
- If any provisions of these Terms and Conditions are judged to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, this shall not affect or impact the continuation in full force and affect the remainder of the provisions.