This competition has now closed but thank you to all those who took part. Congratulations goes to our winner ‘Amy S’ who won our bundle of three patio fruit trees.
For more inspiration on giving your patio an exotic lift with this handy collection, have a look at our list below, or browse our full range of fruit trees for more inspiration.
Turn your patio into a mini-orchard
You don’t need acres of land to grow your own fruit trees – in fact, you don’t even need a garden. Dwarf fruit trees are ideal for growing in large containers and provide a long season of interest from spring when they flower, through to autumn when they fruit.
If you’d like to grow fresh fruit in courtyard containers, patio pots or even on a sunny balcony, our patio fruit tree collection will get you off to a flying start. Here’s more about the dwarf fruit trees that thrive in a small garden.
Grafted onto dwarf rootstock, this patio cherry is perfect for growing in a container and will reach about 1m in height. Self-fertile, it makes an impressive addition to a sunny outdoor seating area, especially in the spring when it’s smothered with attractive, fragrant, white blossoms. In summer, it produces sweet, dark red fruits that are resistant to splitting.
Once established, Patio Cherry ‘Sylvia’ needs very little care. A light prune during the summer to maintain its shape is all that’s required. Eat the fruits as they appear, or cook them down to make a luxurious, homegrown preserve.
Apple ‘Golden Delicious’
Patio Apple ‘Golden Delicious’ is an ideal variety for your container orchard, maturing at about 1m in height when grown on a sunny patio. Perfect in small gardens, it can also be grown in a border if you’re after a fruit tree that won’t overpower your space.
Flowering profusely from mid to late spring, the pretty white blossom is beautifully scented. By autumn, a crop of full-sized apples appears, turning from light green to golden yellow as they mature. Popular for its incredibly sweet and juicy fruits, ‘Golden Delicious’ is a versatile apple that can be used in cooking or eaten fresh from the tree. It stores well too, should you wish to prolong your bounty!
Developed in Hertfordshire in the late 19th century, this cultivar is as hardy as they come. Easy to grow, Pear Mini ‘Conference’ is surprisingly low-maintenance and reaches a height of just 1m when kept in a container. Although it prefers a sunny spot, it will also grow in cooler conditions. A pretty addition to your patio, the flush of pure white flowers that appear mid-spring are beautifully set off by the lush green foliage.
Cropping reliably from October to November, its deliciously sweet, long, bell-shaped fruits are best harvested when just slightly under-ripe and brought indoors to soften. Usually eaten as a dessert pear, ‘Mini Conference’ is also exceptional when roasted or poached.
Terms and conditions
- This giveaway is only open to United Kingdom mainland residents aged over 18, excluding employees of Suttons Consumer Products, their families and all those professionally associated with this Promotion.
- This giveaway is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- Closing Date: 12 noon, Monday 5th September 2022.
- To Enter: choose from the five methods available, including sharing an email address for great offers, tweeting about the giveaway, and visiting the Suttons Facebook page.
- The Prize: 1 winner in total. The winner will win 3 patio fruit tree plants in 9cm Potted Plants. Varieties included Cherry ‘Sylvia’, Apple ‘Golden Delicious’ & Pear ‘Conference’. The prizes will be sent to the winner by post.
- The Prize is non-exchangeable or transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers, promotions, or discounts. Due to current regulations, we are not able to send this prize to winners in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.
- The winner will be randomly selected from all valid entries received during the promotional period within 3 working days of the Closing Date.
- The winner will be contacted by an email from firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 working days of the Closing Date. If the winner does not respond within 14 days of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner. If a winner rejects their prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner.
- No cash alternative for the Prize stated is offered.
- Suttons Consumer Products may substitute the Prize for a prize of an equal or greater value if, for any reason, the original Prize is unavailable.
- Suttons Consumer Products may request that the winner participates in publicity arising from the Promotion. The winner is under no obligation to participate and may decline this request. Participation is at the winner’s discretion.
- By entering this giveaway, entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and by the decisions of the Suttons Consumer Products, which are final in all matters relating to the giveaway. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the Prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
- If you agreed to sign up to our mailing list, you are agreeing to receive occasional emails and catalogues from Suttons Seeds, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a voluntary entry method, and not a mandatory condition of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of the Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering or to have tampered with the operation of the giveaway, or to be acting in violation of these terms and conditions.
- All entries must be made by the entrant themselves. Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries, entries by macros or other automated means (including systems which can be programmed to enter), and entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these terms and conditions in full will be disqualified and will not be counted. If it becomes apparent that an entrant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’, masking their identity by manipulating IP addresses, using identities other than their own or any other automated means in order to increase that entrant’s entries into the promotion in a way that is not consistent with the spirit of the giveaway, that entrant’s entries will be disqualified and any Prize award will be void.
- To the full extent permitted by law Suttons Consumer Products will not accept liability for any loss, damage, injury or death arising from this giveaway beyond its reasonable control. Suttons Consumer Products does not accept any liability for the acts of any third-party Prize provider.
- If any provisions of these Terms and Conditions are judged to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, this shall not affect or impact the continuation in full force and affect the remainder of the provisions.