This competition has now closed but thank you to all those who took part. Congratulations goes to our 3 winners who each won a bundle of Suttons tulip bulbs.
Here’s more information about planting tulips in your garden, and why the ‘Patio Mix’ bundle is a great place to start when looking to fill your garden with gorgeous springtime colour. For more inspiration, browse our full range of tulip bulbs.
Top tips for terrific tulips
November is the perfect time to plant tulip bulbs for an early display next year. Not only are the bulbs dormant, the colder temperatures help to protect them against fungal disease. If you want their flowering period to begin later in the spring, simply wait until December or even January to plant your bulbs.
Choose a sunny spot and plant your bulbs in free-draining soil so they don’t rot. If your soil is heavy, just add some sand or grit. Plant them a good 12 inches down and the blooms should return year after year.
Your bulbs don’t need to be quite as deep if you’re growing them in containers. Why not create ‘bulb lasagnes’ for your patio by including layers of daffodils, crocuses, snowdrops and hyacinths? You’ll get a great container display that lasts for several months.
If you’re growing your tulips for cut flowers, plant them in rows to make picking easier. Cut the stems before the bud has fully opened to give yourself the longest possible display. For a more natural look in the garden, plant your bulbs in dense ‘crowds’ to give them real impact.
Tulip ‘Patio Mix’ bulbs
Carefully selected by our experts, Tulip ‘Patio Mix’ is guaranteed to bring your spring garden to life with its vivacious blend of colours, shapes and heights. These gorgeous flowers brighten beds, pots and borders as well as making an excellent cut display. With sturdy stems and long-lasting blooms, it’s easy to see why they’re a favourite of florists and gardeners alike.
‘Purple Flag’ and ‘Flaming Flag’ are classically cup-shaped, with one boasting an intense royal hue and the other sporting purple streaks against an ivory background. ‘Seador’ and ‘Dynasty’ augment the palette with bold reds and warm pinks – the shorter ‘Seador’ works especially well at the front of borders and in containers, providing depth and contrast against taller varieties.
Browse our full selection of high quality spring bulbs here. And if you’re looking for the best expert advice on growing spring-flowering bulbs, we’ve got you covered.
Terms and conditions
- This giveaway is only open to United Kingdom mainland residents aged over 18, excluding employees of Suttons Consumer Products, their families and all those professionally associated with this Promotion.
- This giveaway is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- Closing Date: 12 noon, Monday 24th October
- To Enter: choose from the five methods available, including sharing an email address for great offers, tweeting about the giveaway, and visiting the Suttons Facebook page.
- The Prize: 3x winners will each win a 40 tulip bulb bundle – ‘Tulip Patio Mix’
- The Prize is non-exchangeable or transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers, promotions, or discounts. Due to current regulations, we are not able to send this prize to winners in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.
- The winner will be randomly selected from all valid entries received during the promotional period within 3 working days of the Closing Date.
- The winner will be contacted by an email from firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 working days of the Closing Date. If the winner does not respond within 14 days of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner. If a winner rejects their prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Suttons shall be entitled to select another winner.
- No cash alternative for the Prize stated is offered.
- Suttons Consumer Products may substitute the Prize for a prize of an equal or greater value if, for any reason, the original Prize is unavailable.
- Suttons Consumer Products may request that the winner participates in publicity arising from the Promotion. The winner is under no obligation to participate and may decline this request. Participation is at the winner’s discretion.
- By entering this giveaway, entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and by the decisions of the Suttons Consumer Products, which are final in all matters relating to the giveaway. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the Prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
- If you agreed to sign up to our mailing list, you are agreeing to receive occasional emails and catalogues from Suttons Seeds, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a voluntary entry method, and not a mandatory condition of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of the Suttons Consumer Products or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
- Suttons Consumer Products reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering or to have tampered with the operation of the giveaway, or to be acting in violation of these terms and conditions.
- All entries must be made by the entrant themselves. Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries, entries by macros or other automated means (including systems which can be programmed to enter), and entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these terms and conditions in full will be disqualified and will not be counted. If it becomes apparent that an entrant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’, masking their identity by manipulating IP addresses, using identities other than their own or any other automated means in order to increase that entrant’s entries into the promotion in a way that is not consistent with the spirit of the giveaway, that entrant’s entries will be disqualified and any Prize award will be void.
- To the full extent permitted by law Suttons Consumer Products will not accept liability for any loss, damage, injury or death arising from this giveaway beyond its reasonable control. Suttons Consumer Products does not accept any liability for the acts of any third-party Prize provider.
- If any provisions of these Terms and Conditions are judged to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, this shall not affect or impact the continuation in full force and affect the remainder of the provisions.