We don’t know about you, but we’re still in the grip of Chelsea fever – and we’ve loved wandering the stands and gardens to see what’s made it into the show for 2018. We asked our Head Gardener Gavin to pick out five of his favourite Chelsea perennials – and here they are…
RHS Chelsea Flower Show perennials
1. Lupins – Number one has got to be lupins. If you’ve visited the show this week you’ll have seen lupins in every colour imaginable, delighting visitors on stand after stand.
From the deep purples and pretty pinks in the gardens, to the oranges and reds that burn in the Great Pavilion, it’s safe to say that this year is all about the lupin. The Russell hybrids offer a fantastic mix of colours, so if you’re inspired to use them to add some different colours to your borders, start with those.
2. Dahlias – Next up, it’s the beautiful Dahlias. Another perennial that pretty much stole the show at this year’s RHS Chelsea Flower Show, the Dahlia stand lit up the Great Pavilion. We’re thrilled that products from our brand-new collection were displayed too, and they looked spectacular. Our 2 litre potted dahlias are perfect for those of you who need your plants compact, and they create instant impact.
3. Gerberas – With long stems and jazzy coloured flowers that shout ‘summer’, gerberas are enjoying their share of the limelight this year too. We offer gerberas as 9cm plants, but they’re also available as 2 litre potted plants if you need bright, bold colours with limited space.
These bright little numbers produce lots of striking flowers over several months, so they’re perfect for brightening your borders.
4. Hostas and heucheras – There are always a few surprises during a day at Chelsea, and we were intrigued to see hostas and heucheras used in many of the gardens. A clever way to add some interesting and contrasting foliage colours, these plants will last all season.
5. Delphiniums and digitalis – It wasn’t only the lupins that added height to those borders…delphiniums and digitalis did themselves proud too. Ever-popular for creating that classic ‘cottage garden’ feel to your borders, our Magic Fountain mix and Dalmatian mix mean you can introduce a whole range of colours or just stick with your favourite shades this summer.
Speaking of colours, blue was definitely the colour this year. It’s all about every shade of blue in every flower, and we love the fact that it worked to create a calming, cool atmosphere at this year’s show.