Cauliflower rice is a great healthy alternative to rice. Low in carbs and only 25 calories per 100g, this is a quick and easy to prepare dish.
- 1 Cauliflower
- Vegetable Oil
- Food Processor with 's' blade
- Chopping board and knife
Preparing the Cauliflower
- Wash the cauliflower and remove all of the leaves.
- Pat dry and cut into quarters. Remove the harder thick main stem and cut the quarters into 2 or 3 smaller chunks.
- Attach the ‘s’ blade to your food processor and add in the chunks of cauliflower, careful not to add too much at one time.
- Pulse the cauliflower for 30 seconds at a time or until there are no large chunks left and it resembles rice or couscous. Be careful not to over blitz the cauliflower as it will then become mushy.
- If you don’t have a food processor then a standard grater works just as well. Grate the florets on the large holes of the grater and in no time you’ll have cauliflower rice.
Cooking the Cauliflower Rice (Microwave)
- Place the cauliflower rice in a microwave safe bowl and cover with cling film.
- Cook for 3 minutes on high (microwave cooking times will vary depending on power), stirring half way through to ensure its light and fluffy.
- Keep covered and allow to stand for 2 minutes.
Cooking the Cauliflower Rice (Stir-Frying)
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the pan and spread out evenly.
- Cover the pan and cook on a medium heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring regularly.
- The cauliflower rice will take on a slightly nuttier flower and is ready when it is slightly crispy on the outside but still tender on the inside.
Why not spice up your cauliflower rice by adding in some toasted cumin seeds or some fresh chillies. Freshen it up by tossing through freshly chopped coriander.