A couple of ways of using your home grown cabbages and garlic!
My mother cooks cabbage like this a lot and it is so delicious. This is my version.
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large savoy cabbage, (take off outer leaves, remove core and shred the rest)
2 tbsp water
salt and black pepper
My mother also adds half a chopped onion too. Tastes good with or without.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the garlic (and onion if you are using it) and heat for 20 seconds. Do not allow the garlic to fry or burn! Add the cabbage and 2 tablespoons water and stir well, coating the cabbage with the oil and butter.
- Season to taste, cover and cook over a medium heat for around 10 minutes, stirring now and then until wilted and tender. We like ours to have a bit of a bite so cook it for a shorter time but my mother serves it very tender. Both ways are nice!
1lb white or green cabbage thinly sliced or shredded
Butter or oil for frying
Juice of half a lemon
Black pepper to taste
1/4 pint hot chicken stock (I just use about half a chicken stock cube in some boiling water)
Splash (or glug!) of Soy Sauce
- Melt butter, put in cabbage, lemon juice, black pepper and soy sauce and fry while stirring for a couple of minutes. (Salt is not needed as the soy sauce is salty)
- Add just enough stock to cover and simmer for 7 or 8 minutes, or until cabbage is just tender.
- Do not overcook.
If you are a vegetarian, then just swap the chicken stock cube for a veggie one.
I have to say this tastes good even if you don’t have it with a chinese meal! Try it with pork chops or a nice steak!